So do you want to start your own blog and make money online?
As you must know, the first thing you need to get your blog up and running is your domain name and a hosting service.
Especially if you are a beginner, choosing the best blog hosting is not a simple task as it looks like. It can be overwhelming and complicated.
Why choosing the right Blog Hosting is so important?
To answer this question I’ll talk about a short story…
Many years ago when I started my first website I was only 17 years old and had no money to pay for decent hosting. It was my first adventure online trying to make money with a blog, so I was very excited to start writing blog posts and of course, start making money with Google Adsense (horrible idea).
The end of the story is that I practically didn’t make any money and got extremely frustrated since the first day I started with that failed blog.
First, because I had no technical knowledge about how to set up domain name servers and later because installing WordPress using an unmanaged hosting provider was a nightmare.
But the worst part was slow support… although their service was not horrible, waiting almost 12 hours for an answer to a simple doubt is something very serious that will make you very angry.
Can you see why a bad Hosting Provider is one of the biggest mistakes that you can do when starting your blog?
Below are some problems that you can face if you choose a bad hosting company:
- Slow customer service;
- Slowness and problems to access your site;
- Limited Bandwidth and Site Speed;
- Unsafety service and softwares running your site;
- Weak hardware and structure of the services;
- And many more issues than you can’t imagine.
Above is just a small sample of the problems you’ll have with a low-quality hosting service for your blog. Try to imagine if the servers of your site are attacked and you get your site unavailable for hours or even days?
High-Quality hosting service is relatively cheap, so there’s no sense to make the stupid mistake of purchasing that $0.99 per month service run by kids.
And Why you should avoid free Hosting
Now you know that paying for those stupid low-cost service hosting is a horrible idea. But even worse than this, is searching for a 100% free blog hosting service.
Here’s the cold truth. If you are willing to build a profitable blog or site you need to make a real investment from your pocket.
Remember that basic economic theory that is as true for blogging, business as anything else in life:
“There is no such thing as a free lunch.”
Below are some other huge disadvantages of using a free hosting service for your blog:
- Unwanted Ads: Nothing worst that a dozen ugly ads appearing in the top, in the middle and at the bottom of your website.
- Very Limited features: Very often you need to pay to use some basic and essential features like daily backups.
- Limited Bandwidth and usage: Bandwidth is how much traffic you can receive, and if you are lucky enough to get a lot of traffic, this will be a big problem.
- No Real domain: Instead of having a trustworthy domain name like “mynewblog.com”, it will look like “mycheapwebsite.blogspot.com”. Impossible to make money with this type of domain name.
- Virtually no customer support: You get what you pay for, good luck trying to contact customer support.
- Essentially you don’t own your website: For countless reasons, your blog can be closed with no warning at any time. For example, if they see that you are driving tons of traffic, they can shut down your website, before inviting you to pay for extra bandwidth.
As you can see, If you want to blog just for fun or hobby it’s fine getting free hosting. But if you want to build a real business, paying for a decent hosting service is 100% crucial for your success.
And if you want to blog for fun, what are the options?
Below are some of the best (or less shitty) options for starting a free blog for fun.
Many new bloggers make confusion between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. While the “.com” version is the free service, the “.org” is the self-hosted and most recommended version for serious bloggers.
When you want to install a blog using the WordPress plataform then you go to WordPress.org to download it.
The Best Hosting Sites that I recommend
Now that you know why getting free hosting is a horrible idea for a successful blog, it’s time to choose the best blog hosting platform. But first, have in mind that you can probably find dozens of good server hosting companies that will provide good service. But below is the top 2 hosting services that I use and recommend for both newbies and for advanced bloggers:
Bluehost: This is one of the most popular and best hosting for WordPress sites that you can find online. And there are great reasons, why it’s a hosting company so famous. It’s incredibly easy and cheap to get started and their service quality is great.
For less than $50 per year, you can get access to a shared server and start your blog.
KnownHost: It’s the company that I trust to host DailyBlogProfits. From my experience, together with BlueHost, it is one of the best hostings for websites that you can find. Relatively cheap compared to others, amazing 10 minutes to have a reply from customer support, no downtimes, and no technical problems after 4 years using KH. Like BlueHost is a 5/5 stars service.
KnowHost is a bit more expensive if you are using their shared plans (recommended for new blogs).
No matter if you decide to use BlueHost or KH, both are great choices for your blog. But if you are starting your first blog, then I would decide for BlueHost, for a few reasons:
- Start your blog paying only $2.75/month: If you think that it’s not worth to pay this small value to have a decent blog hosting service, then I don’t know what to say for you…
- One-click WordPress installation: WordPress is simply the best platform for bloggers, and BlueHost makes it very easy to install it. Just click a few buttons and your Blog is ready to get started.
- Great live chat: Although KnownHost also has a top and reliable customer service, only BlueHost has a 24/7 live chat to answer your doubts. If you are a bit lazy and don’t want to spend time opening a support ticket, this small feature can make a difference for you.
- It’s incredibly easy and simple to use: They have a simple and easy to use control panel to manage your domain names and blog settings. It’s something a little better compared to KH. Especially for beginners, this can be useful.
- You can add pre-installed add-ons and features: BlueHost makes super easy for newbies to install features or addons for WordPress or any other platform.
- It’s one of the best hostings with Cpanel: If you don’t know, Cpanel is the “tool” that will manage the technical part of your site/blog. And believe it or not, many hosting companies will not offer Cpanel for an affordable price. With BlueHost, you don’t need to worry about this.
Getting a new blog with BlueHost is Super Easy and Fast
If you decided to use BlueHost as your hosting company, there are only a few steps to get your blog started.
- If you have zero knowledge, you just can go on BlueHost.com choose your plan (the cheapest) enter your domain name and info about you and your blog. Then ask for their support team to install WordPress for you.
or if you want to follow some simple steps and install them on your own.
2. Check my step-by-step guide to start a blog and install your blog spending only 15 minutes or less.
BlueHost is damn cheap and makes it super simple, easy and fast to get your Blog up and running. If you want to blog for money, it’s a stupid decision to start your business in a free hosting provider like Blogspot or Wix.
Having the best hosting service in your hands is 110% necessary to succeed in this business and for making money. Having your website down for hours or even days is not an option.
Unless that you are blogging just for fun and don’t care if your site goes down, there’s absolutely no reason to go on the free route.